Surrounding Blocks 45, 48 and 49 were terrace houses built by the Singapore Investment Trust (SIT) in the late 1950s while these three 7-storey blocks were the first blocks of flats constructed by HDB in 1960. These blocks of flats along Stirling Road seemed like any other HDB flats built in this period. However, these blocks marked the important transition from SIT to HDB, where Singapore took over in the planning of town centres and estates from our colonial master then.
Before a major upgrading, cheaper and slower lifts were installed and stopped only on every fourth floor to compensate the slow speed because SIT's budget did not allow. Furthermore, building taller residential blocks meant that lifts are required. When SIT was dissolved in 1959, Block 45, 48 and 49 were half completed. HDB was later formed and completed them. Besides providing homes for many village dwellers, the construction of these flats employed many residents in Queenstown who were out of job due to the declining entrepot trade in the 1950s.