Established in 1931 by German businessmen, Archipelago Brewery Company was the first commercial brewery in Singapore. It was located next to the Malayan Railway, which provided convenient transportation for exporting the beer in Tanjong Pagar.
Archipelago Brewery Company
One of the more popular beer produced at Archipelago Brewery Company was Anchor Beer. In the 1930s right up to the 1960s, Anchor Beer outsold Tiger Beer by 9 to 1. It had a familiar tagline “Life needs an Anchor.” Tiger Beer was mainly drank by the British Military whereas Anchor was popular among Singaporeans.
In 1941, in the midst of World War II, Fraser and Neave took over the assets of Archipelago Brewery Company. However during the Asia-Pacific War, the Japanese Army expropriated all the production facilities of Fraser and Neave, which included the Archipelago Brewery factory at Alexandra Road. Japanese beer such as Kirin and Dai-Nippon were produced at the factory. Brewing of the beer was carried out at the main plant (where Anchorpoint stands today) and bottled beer was transported via wooden conveyor belt across the overhead bridge to the canning line and warehouse, where IKEA stands today. Production continued till 1990, when operations were relocated to Tuas.
From the 1930s right till the 1960s, the brewery was managed by Dutch expatriates. Gradually, locals were hired for key positions such as engineers. Jobs at the brewery were always sought after as the company was well-known for its work culture and employee welfare.
The original site, together with the canning line and warehouse, made way for residential and commercial use. Today, the only reminder of the factory is the brew master's office, a two-storey bungalow which now houses the Zhou’s Kitchen restaurant.
It's 6 days countdown to the launch of Queenstown Heritage Portal!! =)