Ying Fo Fui Kun Clan was the oldest association established in 1822. It was expanded twice in 1844 and 1875 and renovated in 1948 and 1997. The clan at the present Telok Ayer was gazetted as a national monument in 1998. So what's so big deal about the clan as well as its cemetery in Commonwealth Lane?
The Clan at Telok Ayer
The Cemetery at Commonwealth Lane
Ying Fo Fui Kun clan was a Hakka Clan that was founded by Liu Runde to unite Hakkas who came from 5 Guangdong Provinces. They hope to provide a platform for these Hakkas to come together as well as take care of their welfare! In 1905, it started the first Chinese school, Ying Sin School 應新學校. In 1920, members of the clan pooled funds to open a medical hospital in Holland Road named Shuang Long Jia Yu Wu Shu Hospital 双龙嘉应. In 1998, a memorial hall was constructed.
Ying Fo Fui Kun celebrates its 180th anniversary on 5 May 2002. Today, it hands out bursaries and university grants to students who have performed exceptionally in examinations. Trips to Guangzhou are organised regularly for Hakkas to find their roots in these 5 provinces. In order to remain relevant to the younger community, courses in singing are conducted as well.
The cemetery that resides in Commonwealth Lane presently used to stretched to Ghim Moh. From what MyQueenstown understands from the cemetery attendant, Mr Li, 70, most of the tombstones are shifted from the graveyards formerly located at Mei Ling and the remains are cremated and placed in the urns at the memorial hall located next to the cemetery.
The attendant mentioned that this guy was a big shot
A place for the urns
A Quiet and Serene place to reminisce
The Memorial Hall
Rows of Urns in the Memorial Hall